Key Dance Information for 2017
• All classes are free but costume fees do apply for some classes.
• Students are expected to attend their dance class each week if they wish to be placed in routines and have the opportunity to perform at the end of year Dance and Glee Concert and for many groups other school and community events throughout the year.
• The before and after school dance classes have limited places to ensure enough attention can be paid to individuals to improve their dance technique. Preference into these classes will be given to students who have been in the dance program in previous years. Parents/Guardians of new students should speak to Jennifer Whiteoak.
• Recess and lunchtime dance classes do not have any restriction on numbers, but students need to attend regularly to maintain a place in the dance class.
• The Burwood Heights Primary School 10th Annual Dance and Glee Concert will be held at the Kel Watson Theatre, on Wednesday 6th December, at 7:00pm.
For more information regarding any dance classes or programs please speak to Jennifer Whiteoak or Jaiden King.
Dance Fair Victoria
Dance Fair Victoria is a choreographic competition for students from Grade Five and Six. Students choreograph their own dances and then compete against students from other schools. The competition dates are usually in May and June. A meeting for expressions of interest to compete is usually held in December for the following year and further meetings and rehearsal schedules are organised in February. For the last three years the students won the Overall Best Primary School due to many solos, duos and groups placing.
Prep students can join Prep Dance on a Monday lunchtime. This class will start mid Term Two after the first Dance Fair Competition. The class is open for all Prep students to come along and try. Students will be asked to commit later in the year if they wish to perform in the end of year Dance and Glee concert at the theatre.
Grade One and Grade Two Students
The Sparkle Dance Troupe is before school on a Thursday morning. This class is a ballet and jazz class. Students will learn two or three routines. They will perform at several different events as well as the end of year concert. There will be a costume fee of $40 - $50 for this class.
Grade Three, Four, Five and Six Students
The Star and Crystal Dance Troupes are open to students in Grade Three to Six. Jazz and ballet technique as well as routines are taught in these classes. Students are given the opportunity to perform at different school and community events as well as the end of year Dance Concert. There will be a costume fee of $40 - $50 for these classes.
The Diamond Troupe is a more advanced class and is by invitation only for students from Grades Four to Six. Usually students who have been dancing for several years and are ready for a challenge. Girls in this class need tan jazz shoes and matte tan tights. Boys need black jazz shoes. There will be a costume fee of around $40 - $50 for this classes.
Boys from Grades One to Six are invited to join the Boys Dance Crew. The class is open for the boys to come along and try. Students will be asked to commit to attending every week later in the year if they wish to perform in the end of year Dance and Glee concert at the theatre. All other dance classes also have boys in them.
Girls are invited to join all classes except for the ‘Boys Dance Crew’. There will be an extra lunchtime or recess classes offered for girls, but details will be provided later in the year.
Prep Dance Club
Monday Lunchtime (Starts in Term Two)
Sparkle Troupe (Grades 1-2)
Thursday 8:15 – 8:55am
Star Troupe (Grades 3-6)
Thursday 3:45 – 4:30pm
Crystal Troupe (Grades 3-6)
Tuesday 8:15 – 8:55am
Diamond Troupe (Grades 4-6)
Monday 3:45 – 4:45pm
Boys Dance Crew (Grades 1-6)
Dance Fair Victoria Rehearsals
Thursday Lunchtime – all groups